Sunday, August 10, 2008

lambos and hookers


I concluded last week by cleaning out the warehouse- organizing and shipping everything returnable back to the vendor. This meant two full days in our non-climate controlled facility across the border in West Los Angeles.

Santa Monica adjacent, a realtor would call it. Our warehouse, in a row of similar buildings, turns out to be situated on an interesting and surprisingly busy block. Because of the heat, our big overhead doors were open allowing us to interact with the outside world. And on our block, that meant Lamborghinis and hookers.

I'm not particularly a fan of the Lamborghini. Unlike Ferrari, Lambo has never won a Grand Prix championship, so to me it's a bit of a poseur. Which makes it very popular on the west side. How popular I never knew until last week. The Lamborghini service facility is two doors down from us, so our day was filled with the staccato pitch of their powerful engines revving as they raced down the block for a road test. A blur of color zoomed by- green, bright yellow, blue and black. I'm not sure if yellow is popular or if it was the same car doing lap after lap. Perhaps they were trying to make up for the lack of a racing championship I mentioned earlier. Either way, it was one of those LA moments. I couldn't see this scene being repeated in Dubuque.

Adding a human face to the drama were the hookers. At least I think they were. No self respecting secretary would go out in those stilettos at mid day. I'm not certain if they were working our block or simply commuting back to their own turf, but they made several trips. Lost tourists in fishnet stockings? Perhaps. Then again, perhaps it has something to do with the Lamborghinis.

Does one attract the other?

No comments: