Monday, October 27, 2008

message to michael

Goodness, but I'm getting radical in my old age and I'm having outrageous thoughts.

For example, I strongly hold the belief that God's love is for everyone, and not just for a select few. Further, I believe that the majority cannot be trusted to safeguard the rights of the minority. On the same thread, I believe that when Jesus told us to "love one another, as I have loved you" that I, as a gay man, am fully included in that circle.

And as a radical step, I believe that a Church that supports the enshrinement of discrimination is wrong. Dead wrong. Like the Mormons and the Catholics are dead wrong and will be ridiculed by history for their bigoted stance. And while I'm out there, I believe that Father Geoff Farrow will ultimately be seen as a hero for his refusal to incite bigotry and hate among the faithful.

This morning I posted an update on Father Geoff and received this comment from a Michael Ejercito of Long Beach, California. To wit:

"If Geoffrey Farrow can be true to his Catholic faith while supporting same-sex "marriage", then Muslim clerics can be true to their Muslim faith while eating chitterlings".

I would have responded directly, but there was no email attached and his blogger profile is "private".

I did find his myspace page, where he expresses his desire to meet George W. Bush and girls "pretty enough to have sex with. :-)". I sincerely hope I have not confused those two.

I further located his linked-in profile, but it must be out of date as it infers that he has not had a job since April.

And here is his picture: (I like to see who I'm talking with)



Rather than use my own words, which might be unkind, or even address the chittierlings and his indelicate reference to uncleanliness, I will defer to The Reverend Susan Russell of All Saints Episcopal Church in Pasadena, who answered a similar question yesterday on her excellent Inch At A Time Blog. She said:

"Interestingly your questions are not unlike the ones Jesus answered in Matthew 22:34-40 which -- even more interestingly -- was the text appointed for our sermon today at All Saints. The answer for us is that same as it was for Our Lord ... we believe that ALL the law and the prophets hang on the two great commandments: love the Lord your God and love your neighbor as yourself. And we believe that we are following both of those commandments when we marry same-sex couples here at All Saints Church ... which we have been doing since June 17th."

Blessings to you, Michael Ejercito, and may you soon realize that Jesus opposed all types of persecution and bigotry. God's love is for all of us.

And just to prove no hard feelings, here's Dionne Warwick with her 1966 Bert Bachrach hit. So take a message to Michael:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh come on Jeff, don't be so harsh. I kind of admire poor Mikey. Do you know how much courage it takes to launch that kind of howling invective from behind cover of a computer screen? Especially when you have such a unique screen name as "anon"? I bet you only wish you had that much courage!

I wonder if Mikey is making the rounds of gay blogs so he can find all those "pretty girls to have sex with". Maybe that is why he is still "looking".

Lemuel said...

I think also of Paul's comment in Galatians: There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

I cannot but believe that we could infer: there is neither gay nor straight.